Invisalign is an orthodontic aligner gaining a lot of popularity in recent years. It is a worthy alternative to dental braces and quite an aesthetically pleasing one as well. Unlike conventional metal braces made from metal components, Invisalign is fabricated from clear, dental-grade plastic material that stays under disguise when worn. However, this doesn’t hinder its excellent functionality - thanks to the SmartTrack technology backing it.
Why choose Invisalign instead of braces?
Braces have been the go-to orthodontic solution for many decades now. Choosing the relatively newer Invisalign instead of braces would offer few significant advantages over the latter. Here’s why dentists highly recommend Invisalign:
- Since Invisalign is made from clear plastic material, it is aesthetically more pleasing than dental braces. In fact, most people wouldn’t be able to notice the aligners when you talk or smile due to their transparent appearance.
- Invisalign is backed by SmartTrack technology. It allows the aligners to retain their shape throughout the treatment phase without getting warped.
- Since Invisalign doesn’t contain any metal components, brackets, or sharp corners, it is comparatively much safer than braces. It doesn’t cause any injuries to the soft inner lining of the mouth.
- Teens usually prefer Invisalign over braces as it is indistinguishable when placed on the teeth. This feature keeps them from going through the embarrassment of wearing braces at school.
- Patients using Invisalign need not make significant changes to their diet, as the aligners are removable. In the case of dental braces, you would have to keep certain foods away, such as hard or sticky foods, as they can affect the treatment.
- Parents can keep a close track of the orthodontic treatment of their children using the blue compliance indicators.
What is the treatment involved?
The dentist will conduct a thorough diagnosis of the oral cavity and your malocclusion to understand your candidacy for Invisalign. We may have to remove teeth on either side of the mouth to make space for the teeth’s movement. The teeth will be scanned using digital scanning devices, and the data obtained will be used to fabricate the aligners from dental-grade, transparent plastic material. The aligners will be changed once every two weeks, and a new set will be given to help you advance to the next stage of treatment.
Patients should ensure to wear them for at least 22 hours every day. Meaning, they have to be on at all times - even while you go to bed, and can only be taken off when you have to eat food or brush your teeth. While putting them back on after having a meal, make sure no food particles are left behind on the teeth, which otherwise can affect the treatment adversely. Also, avoid chewing on the aligners as it could change their shape and influence the pressure applied to the teeth.
You may schedule a consultation with our team of dental experts by calling us at (317) 991-4725 or reaching us through an online query. We’re always happy to help.